Sunday, May 5, 2013

How My Family Came to Be Mine

I am going to share with you all my story that really explains my family and some reasons why I am so open and understanding. To get started for those of you who didn't know I am adopted. I have what is called an open adoption which means that My biological mother and adoptive parents decided that they would keep contact with each other and share pictures occasionally while I was growing up. Every adoption is different and even open adoptions vary on what the parents agreed too.

My biological mom who I call Amanda or my birth mom, got pregnant with me when she was sixteen years old. She was living in arkansas and going to high school. My biological father was seventeen, and also in high school. when my birth mom found out she was pregnant she told my birth dad and her family. My birth dad wanted to get married and start a family while my birth mom wasn't sure what would be best.

My birth mom decided that she would move out to California to live with her aunt and uncle as well as their kids, so she could make a more clear decision about what was best. She considered abortion and even had an appointment but she couldn't go through with it. She left the doctors office knowing that abortion was not her answer. Then she began to consider adoption and she met with many families to try to find the right fit. It turned out that her aunt and uncle worked at a hospital with a couple who had already adopted a little girl and were looking to adopt another child. So amanda met with this couple and their daughter. They shared similar values and religious views and seemed like great parents, but what really sold her was their happy little girl. 

Waiting for me to arrive was a long haul. My parents (who adopted me) took my birth mom on walks all over trying to get my birth mom to go into labor because I was over a week late. One day, as my mom was on the elevator, finishing yet another long shift at the hospital the doors opened. As my mom looked up ready to step out she saw my birth mom standing there. It was time. 

I am luck to say that my parent where there when I was born and had a good relationship with my birth mom. Although I was "unplanned" I was always meant to be with my parents. I was always raised with love and taught about where I came from with great honesty and no shame. I was lucky enough to have such strong moms that could bare sharing there child with another because it was the best thing for me. 

If you have any questions don't be scared to ask. I am not ashamed or shy about my life. It is the reason I am the way I am. 
My mom and I

My birth mom and I


My older sister and I (think she stole my passy)

No comments:

Post a Comment